A sprained ankle is a condition characterized by damage, tearing of the ligaments or twisting of the ankle wherein most commonly the lateral ligament is affected.
- Commonly occurs in high impact activities like jumping & landing or during activities requiring rapid changes in direction especially on uneven surfaces.
- Often occurs in basketball, football, cricket, volleyball,netball.
- Inversion type of ankle injury on a plantarflexed foot.
- Recurrent ankle sprains can lead to functional instability.
Diagnosis - A detailed subjective & objective examination from a medical professional is sufficient to diagnose a sprained ankle.
- Initial management includes rest, ice compression, elevation.
- Rest from 2-6 weeks.
- Reduction of pain and swelling by giving analgesics/NSAIDs as per your clinician’s advice.
- Restoration of full range of motion.
- Strengthening, Proprioceptive training and functional exercises.