Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine. Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine that occurs most often during the growth spurt just before puberty. While scoliosis can be caused by conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, the cause of most scoliosis is unknown.
- If the person is less than 3 years old, it is called infantile idiopathic scoliosis (or early-onset, that is associated with other problems like chest wall deformities, spina bifida, and others).
- Scoliosis that develops between 3-10 years of age is called juvenile idiopathic scoliosis.
- People who are over 10 years old (10-18 years old) have adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.
- Other types : functional, neuromuscular, degenerative.
- Most cases are mild with few symptoms. Some children develop spine deformities that get more severe as they grow.
- Back pain
- Leaning to one side
- Muscle spasm
- Physical deformity
Treatment - It is based on skeletal maturity of patient, magnitude of deformity and curve progression.
- observation, bracing, Physiotherapy